Monday, May 15, 2017

Book Review of B, or If I Should Have A Daughter by Sarah Kay

It is so typically counterintuitive that a piece of spoken word poetry will translate well into the printed word form of a book that, although this has been my favorite poem for several years, it never occurred to me to look for it in print until about a year ago when our WiFi signal was down and I really wished I could experience this poem... right then. When it was working again, I was lucky enough to discover a beautiful little bound volume of B. It is perfect in its size, shape, and simplicity. Needless to say, I purchased it ASAP! I just realized I'd never posted a review, which means there might be several other Sarah Kay fans who aren't aware of this printed edition's existence, or poetry lovers who haven't heard of her at all, so I needed to rectify that immediately.



Sarah Kay is my favorite spoken word poet. We have some common ground, as her father is Jewish. Her mother is Japanese American. Kay's poetry is full of big dreams, small observations with startling truths, witty wordplay, and beautiful phrases. She is as sincere as she is stubborn and genuine. Kay's voice always feels fresh and original. She always has something interesting, useful, and entertaining to share.

B, or If I Should Have A Daughter explains Kay's parenting philosophy in depth. Every time I read or listen to this poem, I find myself thankful that she wrote and shared it, grateful that she's involved in the lives of so many kids, and hopeful that one day she will have a daughter, because if more parents thought this deeply and cared this much about what kind of job they'd do raising kids they hadn't even met yet, I believe the world would be a better place.

Here's a video of Kay performing the poem as a spoken word piece:




Reading B in print is an entirely different experience from watching the performance. There's a calmer, quieter energy. It feels a bit less playful, and more contemplative. It is less boisterous, less confident, and more tentative. Sophia Janowitz's illustrations bring B to life in a new way, adding subtle details and interpreting the text without distracting from it or taking over the experience of the poem.

Ultimately, I'm thrilled with the quality of this printed edition of B. I love having a copy of my favorite poem bound and on my bookshelf. I think this would make a wonderful gift for any woman about to have a daughter, and great reading for anyone who simply loves excellent poetry. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment