Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Book Review of The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You by Lily Anderson



I heard about The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You by Lily Anderonfrom literary agent Eric Smith's Twitter feed several months ago and have only now worked my way up the hold list at the local library. I'm glad I stuck with it because it really lived up to Eric Smith's blurb, which reads "This is the kind of book that would get lost with you in a comic-book shop. It would stay up late with you for a midnight-release movie. It would let you practice your movies in a fighting game before things got started. Basically, this book is the geeky best friend you've always wanted." It also says some more things, but you get the idea.

The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You is a YA Geekmance, and the stuff that dreams are made of. The cover, however, is not. I thought the cover design left much to be desired, and I would've preferred to see comic book versions of the main characters, instead of the photo.

In addition to the glowing comments of Eric Smith, whose opinion I greatly respect, I was particularly excited to read this book because I really enjoy good YA geekmance, and it is scarce. (I did have another good find in that subgenre recently, however. Review of Geekerella to come shortly.) I also like YA versions of Shakespeare plays, and this was an especially nice retelling of Much Ado About Nothing. Also, the nerdy cultural references were completely on point. From Sarah Vowell to Firefly, and Harry Potter to high-pressure academics, I was nodding in recognition for most of the book.

Well done, Lily Anderson! I'm going to purchase a copy of this gem to live on my bookshelf right next to Dramacon and The Summer I Became a Nerd. I suggest the rest of you do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment